Roasted Garlic Risotto with Wild Mushrooms & Golden Beets
1 bulb garlic
1-1/2 cup risotto
2-4 cups water or mushroom stock (see below)
2 large golden beets
16 ounces (about 2 cups) wild mushrooms, such as hedgehogs
1/2 of a medium onion, diced
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
**Special Note: Always use a wooden spoon or a spatula, and a stainless steel pot, when cooking risotto as it will pick up a metallic flavor if using aluminum.
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb, leaving cloves connected. Cut off the top of the bulb. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and wrap bulb in foil.
3. Clean beets by rubbing with a dry towel. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and wrap in foil. Place in a pan with a small amount of water.
4. Roast garlic and beets for 45 minutes to an hour. Garlic should be golden brown and soft. Let cool slightly before adding to risotto. Beets should be fork tender.
5. Clean mushrooms by wiping clean with a damp towel. Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss with a small amount of olive in a small roasting pan. Set aside.
6. Heat large saucepan over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to coat pan.
7. Add diced onion and cook until translucent
8. Add risotto and cook for two minutes.
9. Stirring constantly, add liquid (water or mushroom stock) 2 cups at a time, adding more as liquid is absorbed to keep the risotto creamy.
10. Risotto will take about 20 minutes. It should be creamy and fall off the spoon. About five minutes before it is finished, squeeze roasted garlic into risotto and continue to stir until finished. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
11. Meanwhile, just after risotto has been added to the pan, put the prepared mushrooms in the oven and roast for 12-15 minutes, until fork tender.
12. Unwrap roasted beets and cut into quarters.
13. Divide Roasted Garlic Risotto between serving plates and top with roasted mushrooms and beetsMushroom Stock (Optional)
14. For 3 cups stock: Simmer 8 ounces (about 1 cup) wild mushrooms in 6 cups water for 20 to 25 minutes, until liquid is reduced by half. Strain and discard mushrooms.
3213 E Camelback Road, Phoenix AZ 85018
602.955.8100 ... email@example.com
Open Every Night
5PM - 10PM Mon-Sat 5PM - 9 PM Sun