3213 E Camelback Road, Phoenix AZ 85018
602.955.8100 ... firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Every Night
5PM - 10PM Mon-Sat 5PM - 9 PM Sun
Reinvented Onion & Green Bean Casserole
Makes about servings
1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
1 cup button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1 T unsalted butter
1 T flour
1/4 cup cream
3 cups milk
1/2 of 1 small onion, finely diced
2 whole black peppercorns
1/2 of 1 whole clove
1/2 of 1 whole bay leaf
1 red onion, very thinly sliced
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup flour
dash of paprika
1/2 T chili powder
1/4 T garlic powder
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Set a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 T butter and stir until melted; do not let butter brown.
3. Whisk in 1 T flour until completely incorporated to make a roux.
4. Stir in cream until completely incorporated, and lower heat to low to medium low.
5. When mixture has come to a simmer add milk, onion, whole peppercorns, clove, and bay leaf.
6. Simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to coat a spoon.
7. Remove immediately from heat and strain. Taste and season to taste with ground black pepper.
8. Meanwhile, cook the beans in a large pot of boiling water until crisp-tender. Strain into a bowl of ice water to immediately stop the cooking.
9. Heat Canola oil in fryer, following manufacturer’s instructions.
10. Stir together flour, paprika, and chili and garlic powders. Dip onions into buttermilk and dredge in flour.
11. Carefully add coated onions to fryer and cook until very crispy, following fryer manufacturer’s instructions.
12. Drain on paper towels
Finishing the Casserole
1. Combine 1 cup of the fried onions with the blanched beans, mushrooms, and Béchamel sauce in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
2. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
3. Sprinkle another 1 cup of fried onions evenly over the casserole and return to the onion for 5 minutes, until they are heated through.