Mark's Sunday Meatballs
3 T freshly grated Romano cheese
1/2 pound each ground veal, ground pork, and pork sausage
1 white onion, finely chopped
2 T organic whole wheat bread crumbs
1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
Pinch of ancho chile or red chile powder
1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 slice nitrate free bacon, chopped
Pinch or so of black pepper
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T chopped Italian parsley
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 T olive oil for searing the meatballs
1. Mix meat, eggs, crumbs, spices, bacon and onion in a large bowl.
2. Form into large meatballs.
3. Heat heavy deep pan on the stove, then add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the meatballs.
4. Sear the meatballs until they have a deep brown crust on the outside.
5. Set aside while you prepare the sauce.
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp soy sauce
¼ tsp very old balsamic vinegar
2 organic tomatoes, chopped
1 cup red wine (A good one, don’t be a cheapskate!)
1 T chopped fresh oregano
1 T chopped fresh parsley
Pinch black pepper
Pinch kosher salt
1. Sauté onion in olive oil until transparent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
2. Add all other ingredients except the fresh parsley and oregano and simmer for one hour.
3. Puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.
4. Add oregano and parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place seared meatballs into sauce, reduce heat and cook uncovered 1-1/2 hour at 350F.
6. Serve meatballs and sauce over pasta.
3213 E Camelback Road, Phoenix AZ 85018
602.955.8100 ... firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Every Night
5PM - 10PM Mon-Sat 5PM - 9 PM Sun