Makes about 60 pieces
2 (scant) cups all purpose flour, plus additional for kneading
1 cup granulated sugar, plus additional
1/2 tsp fresh baking powder
Pinch of salt
2-1/2 T dried lavender (or 1-1/4 T fresh lavender)
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 T Amaretto
1/2 cup almonds, sliced
1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
1 egg, beaten, for brushing formed loaf
1. Combine first five ingredients well, preferably in a mixer.
2. Whisk whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and Amaretto together.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Turn out onto clean counter and knead for 5 minutes, adding additional flour as needed.
5. Knead in almonds and cherries.
6. Preheat oven to 350F.
7. Form dough into a loaf and spread evenly on a large sheet pan.
8. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with additional granulated sugar.
9. Bake for about 15 minutes, remove from oven, and let cool.
10. Slice loaf into 1/4” slices on the bias.
11. Bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp. Watch closely to prevent overcooking!
Replace 2-1/2 T dried lavender with 1/2 T anise seed, and substitute 1/2 T Sambuca for 1/2 T Amaretto.
3213 E Camelback Road, Phoenix AZ 85018
602.955.8100 ... firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Every Night
5PM - 10PM Mon-Sat 5PM - 9 PM Sun