Cheesy Steak Sandwich
Makes 1 Sandwich
3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1/4 onion, julienned
1 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 each red and yellow bell peppers, with seeds and ribs removed
1 8” baguette of French bread
1/2 T butter, melted
1/4 pound New York strip steak, cut into 3” strips
1/2 T Canola oil
2-1/2 T low fat mayonnaise
2-3 drops fresh lemon juice
1 ounce each manchego, provolone, and Wisconsin cheddar, grated
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1. Wrap unpeeled garlic cloves in foil and place in a 350F oven for 25 to 35 minutes, until soft. Remove and let cool enough to handle.
2. Place a small sauté pan over low heat. Add julienned onion, balsamic, Kosher salt, and olive oil and cook until caramelized 15 to 20 minutes). Set aside.
3. Squeeze roasted garlic from peels onto a cutting board. Crush with the flat side of a knife. Set aside.
4. Preheat broiler on high.
5. Flatten bell pepper quarters and lay on a baking sheet. Place under broiler until skin is blackened. Remove, place in a small bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.
6. While peppers are cooling, split baguette lengthwise and open out flat. Brush with melted butter. Place under broiler just until toasted.
7. Removed charred skin from cooled peppers and slice into julienne.
8. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add Canola oil and then add steak. Cook until the meat just begins to color (3 to 4 minutes).
9. Add onions and peppers and continue to cook until steak is cooked, about 5 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, mix together the crushed roasted garlic, the low fat mayonnaise, and the lemon juice. Spread evenly on toasted baguette.
11. Remove steak and vegetables from heat and sprinkle cheese on top. Mix until cheese has melted.
12. Spread steak mixture over baguette. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper, close sandwich, and enjoy!
3213 E Camelback Road, Phoenix AZ 85018
602.955.8100 ... email@example.com
Open Every Night
5PM - 10PM Mon-Sat 5PM - 9 PM Sun