3213 E Camelback Road, Phoenix AZ 85018
602.955.8100 ... email@example.com
Open Every Night
5PM - 10PM Mon-Sat 5PM - 9 PM Sun
Campfire Tacos with Toasted Cumin & Cilantro
1 lb sirloin
1 T organic olive oil
1 white onion, shredded on a box grater or minced fine
2 each finely minced Serrano chilis
4 T toasted ground cumin (see toasting directions)
2 T ancho chile paste (see below)
3 T of homemade red chili sauce (or Cholula hot sauce)
2 T fresh lime juice
1 tsp Kosher salt, or to taste
1 tsp black pepper, or to taste
1 bunch cilantro, picked through and cleaned
1/3 lb grated Jack cheese (optional)
1 tomato, seeded, diced, and salted
8 – 12 corn tortillas, lightly toasted
1. Heat dry pan over medium heat.
2. Add olive oil.
3. Add onions and stir over medium heat until translucent. Add Serrano chilis and stir 1 minute.
4. Add toasted cumin, chili paste, chili sauce, lime juice and salt and set aside.
5. On grill, char the strips of sirloin to medium rare. Let rest a moment, slice thinly, then toss with the cumin mixture.
6. Add pepper and check for seasoning.
7. Spoon into tortillas.
8. Top with tomatillo sauce (see below), sprinkle with chopped tomato and grated cheese (optional), and finish with a generous amount of cilantro leaves.
To Toast Cumin
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add cumin to the dry pan, stirring continuously until the slightest amount of smoke and aroma come from the pan. Remove immediately from the heat.
Ancho Chile Paste
1. Remove seeds from 1 dry ancho chili.
2. Place a dry, nonstick pan over medium heat and lightly toast the chili.
3. Step back from the pan and add 3 T of water, being careful not to let the steam burn you.
4. Cover and let the chili soak for 15 minutes.
5. Place in a blender with a pinch of salt and puree until smooth, adding more water if needed to reach a smooth consistency.
Char 3 tomatillos directly over grill, turning frequently. Place in a blender with 1 T fresh lime juice and salt to taste and puree until smooth.